Monday, January 25, 2010

Patience

Patience is something that I have had to work at all my life. I have always been somewhat impatient. I talk fast, eat fast, work fast, walk fast I just do things fast and if someone or something is taking too long then I just do it myself. Well, that does not really work in parenting. Now that I am a mom and especially now that we have two kids and I stay at home I am learning patience is the number one skill that you need in parenting, so I am working on it. I am learning new ways to be patient every day. Patience is....
- waiting while Jack uses the big boy potty again and again
- helping Julia learn how to take naps longer than 30 minutes
- keeping calm while Jack has yet another meltdown about not being able to go lawnmowing outside when it is pouring, dark out, or when mom just does not feel like going outside
- bouncing, bouncing, bouncing on that darn exercise ball to get a calm baby
- numerous trips up and down the stairs on those nights when one or both kids choose not to sleep
- swaddling, then unswaddling, then swaddling again
- keeping my cool during the hour before Jeff gets home and then through dinner when all craziness occurs
- letting Jack play with Julia to build a bond while at the same time making sure she does not get hurt
- singing 'you are my sunshine' for Julia and 'Old McDonald' for Jack over and over again

No comments:

Post a Comment